Natron with Filmic_Blender

Does anybody knows if Natron can be used in conjunction with filmic_blender?
I can load filmic_blender config.ocio in my color management where the default is “blender”.
Is this valid or am I doing something wrong?

Filmic Blender in Natron
Filmic Blender in Natron

Hi,

From what I understand , you don’t have to do this, Filmic Blender is important in blender for rendering 3D scene, once that’s done you can use the output image in another application to do the color grading as usual.
I’m not sure if it’s worth using it into Natron.

But all that stuff is still foggy into my mind at that time, maybe you can ask Troy Sobotka about it, I’ll be glad to hear more of that from people that understand all of this better than me.

Thank you both for your answers.
@cegaton.
Yes I was talking about CG imagery coming out of blender in EXR full float or maybe TIFF.

Hi!
Having difficulties installing it (very interested in the false color feature).
Do you think you could please share a few print screens of preferences and graph? Thanks.

1. Switch OpenColorIO configuration from blender to Custom

2.Load the fimic config.ocio from you location.

3.Save. Natron will ask for a restart.

4.Restart Natron. Go to preferences, now you should be using filmic

Thanks guys. Hoping I could get a simple false color node in RGB to help grading, I guess this isn’t the right tool.

Hi,

I don’t know if it’s the best place to ask questions about filmic blender , but as they are also related to natron, maybe someone can help me a bit to clear things up in my mind…

Originally my workflow goes like this : render several pass in blender. If it’s a render, I save it in .png 16 bits. If it’s a “data” pass (Z , normal , vector) I save it as .exr half float. Then I do the compositing into Natron.

• Now if I want to use filmic blender for rendering, can I stick with .png 16bits ? (I found convenient being able to display them easily in file explorer).

• Can I use the looks in filmic to add contrast before exporting to .png , or do I screw everything doing so ?

• If I export a render of a shadeless texture without looks and import it into Natron, the color is completely washed out, how can I get back the colors of the original image ?

• If I use my .png render without looks , do I need to use filmic .ocio config inside Natron ?

• When working with log encoded files (I assume that filmic output is a kind of a same thing ?) what is the first step you want to do when grading ? is there an operation that set the image less washed out “the right way” that is a good starting point for grading ?

That’s a lot of questions, probably noobs ones, sorry :slight_smile:

Hey, thanks a lot Cegaton !

That’s much clearer now ! I still don’t get the issue with .png, is it so bad compared to .tif or .tga ? I understand that .exr is storing data in linear and floating point so that’s scene reffered and make more sense to use that format.
But if I export in Filmic log, then it’s ok ?

I’ll make more experiment now that I understand better how this is supposed to work.

Thanks again !

I’m currently trying to apply the filmic blender OCIO config in Natron. But I cannot make it produce the same results as in Blender. Probably as I don’t understand it fully yet. The Color Space Transform to Filmic Log Encoding works nicely and reproduces exactly what I see in Blender. Now I apply a Look Transform. But although it seems to do its thing it looks different than in Blender. It has more contrast. I kept the Display to sRGB. I’m not sure if this is correct as the config specifies the display transform for Blender. But I had no luck using the OCIO Display transform node. Does anyone want to elaborate on the exact workings of this. I would be very graceful!

Thanx in advance. Best Manuel

Thanx for the hint cegaton. But unfortunately it does not work here. It’s working in Nuke, though. What I don’t get is the difference in the display transform marked in green in the attached image. But even with a final sRBG transform the color does not match. Any ideas?

Best Manuel

Here’s the Nuke version. What I don’t get is why I have to set the working space to linear for the OCIO file transform node here to make it work.

In the Nuke screenshot, what is the viewer LUT set to? Do I see correctly that it’s set to "Linear raw (SRGB / BT.709)? If so, is this really the same as Linear in Natron?

Hey guys! I think I have similar problems… I don’t get it how I can get the same look in natron like in blender!? Is there any clear guide for the right ocio workflow between blender and natron?

Thank you!

you can have a look here : Filmic Blender in Natron

I personally save filmic log image in .png without any looks applied and do the grading in Natron, as I change color a lot in natron I don’t need to stick exactly to what I have in blender. It’s not the optimal workflow but it work for me.

Ok here we go again, hopefully with a comprehensive answer this time around.

1- There is no need to install filmic blender files as default OCIO config. I strongly advise against it unless all you are exclusively going to be processing imagery from 3D rendering engines saved on a linear format (EXR) or any form of log encoding. The moment you push display referred images through the filmic blender transforms you will be dealing with incorrect data.

In Natron the config.ocio file can be specified for each of the nodes that affect color transformations, so you can have the filmic blender files stored anywhere in your hard drive and point Natron to use them without making any permanent configuration. You can conceivably use several different OCIO configs for different transformations on the same project.

2-Input setting

The filmic blender transfrorms work in several stages:

The first part is having your information as Scene Referred, with linear values.

If the images are on EXR format then they are already linear and there is nothing that you need to do.

(if you can’t see the settings on the right, please click on the image to enlarge)

If the source images are saved on a display referred format (like 16 bit Tiff or that terrible format called PNG), and are log encoded, the they need to be linearized first.

(if you can’t see the settings on the right, please click on the image to enlarge)

Note how in this example the ocio config is actually on a folder in my desktop.

Once the data is in linear format then you can start playing with nodes to work all the magic that natron can bring.

3-Applying the transformation

At the point in your node tree where you want to apply the filmic blender tranform and looks you need to add two set of nodes:

First the data has to be shaped using the Filmic log encoding, so use a Color>OCIO>Color Space node.

Set the path for the filmic blender OCIO config, and set the input as Linear and the output as Filmic Log Encoding.

Next use a Color>OCIO>Look Transform the input should be Linear (but in reality you are using the Log encoded information resulting from the previous node, Linear in this context would mean unchanged or no-transformation) and it is here is where you can choose one the one of the filmic blender contrast looks.

The output of this node should be linear You need not apply any other transformations to the images at this point. To view the images correctly, the viewer should be set to Linear (None) as well.
After going through the colorspace and look transform the images have been converted to display referred images (meaning that the view transforms have been applied to the image,and the values for the image are now on the 0-1 range), so applying an sRGB view transform would only distort the values on the image.

4.-Saving the images

Just as with the viewer, the images require no additional view transformation. So keep the in and out color spaces for the writer as linear (meaning “unchanged”) unless you need to go to other color space… but I presume that if you are going to do that, you already know what you are doing.

Color difference between Blender and Natron using FIlmic