Natron VFX Course Now Available

It’s been a long time coming, but I finally got the course put together and up online. Thank you to everyone who helped me out, especially when it came to keying in Natron. You can check it out at http://indierebel.co and use the code HOLIDAY2016 to save 40% until New Years. Developers and Moderators: As a thank you for all your work, I’d like to give the course to you guys for free, message me for a 100% discount code :slight_smile:

I hope you enjoy, and that this helps people who are new to nodes, or even vfx in general. Please let me know if you have suggestions for things I should be doing differently, as well as things I should add in future updates.

-Chris

Tutorials on Natron for a beginner

Congratulations :slight_smile:

Seems I missed the offer. :slight_smile:

Use NATRON40 as a code to save 40%. I’ve decided to offer that indefinitely for users of this forum.

Thanks
Purchased. Downloading :slight_smile:

Great. I hope it helps! Let me know if there’s any issues or something doesn’t make sense.

:+1: Its a good introduction into Natron complex workflow.

Hi, I’m a beginner on this topic. I would love to take this course, but before you buy it: could you make me suggestions on the minimum hardware resources I require to take lessons without any inconvenience?

':{D

If your computer can play back HD footage smoothly, you should be good to go :slight_smile:

It seems that in some rare cases, users are having trouble extracting the zip archive on Windows systems. I will be updating the download Monday or Tuesday from a standard .zip to .7z which should work. Anyone who has already purchased will receive a e-mail with a link to the new file.
Also, it was brought to my attention that the settings I show for the Log2Lin conversions are different for the actual files included with the course. This fix is to follow the principles shown and dial in numbers that look good for you on your monitor.

This is my first time putting something like this together and while I did test it extensively, sometimes things do slip through the cracks. I do sincerely apologize for any issues this may have caused.

It’s been updated and confirmed to work now :slight_smile:

Thanks for this!

It was a really solid course for a beginner - I feel pretty confident I could use Natron now for most basic stuff. Good content and easy to follow along. I had a few problems along the way, but I think those were just little quirks of the software.

If you plan on updating in the future, I’d really love to see a topic on the RotoPaint node - I know you sort of mentioned it, and that you preferred the still image method you used, but painting in the application is really handy - and maybe something about de-graining and re-graining to match CG elements to shots. I’m not entirely sure how to go about that in Natron (I know AE has match grain, but obviously the fewer unnecessary applications in the pipeline, the better). Although, if that’s more of a “you need OpenFX plugins”, then that’s no good.

But great work, man. Learned a lot, keen to get out there and shoot some stuff and test it all for myself now.

Just shared this around place with the Blender community, the 2D to CG community and the YourOpenToonz. Would be really great to see all these working together seamlessly Natron Blender OpenToonz working together.

1. http://blender.today/p/education/PFbbbc/blender-to-natron-workflow
  2. https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/109082330838575508881
  3. https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/117328766497043417332

Good luck brother

Thanks a lot! And thank you for sharing :slight_smile:

Thanks for the review :slight_smile: I do want make a more advanced course, or maybe just a few advanced videos for YouTube, so I’ll keep those suggestions in mind.

hey talen.h ,

a very simple way for degrain/regrain, is :

• first degrain the image with something (like denoise sharpen)
  • use a merge node with the original and the degrained version, set the operation to minus ( this substract the grain from the original , keeping only the grain)
  • do your cg stuff :slight_smile: (on the denoised version)
  • merge the grain pass (the merge set to minus) and the composited pass using the plus operation.

if you skip the cg stuff part, you should have exactly the same image after the plus operation than the original.
in fact this is simple math, (extract the difference between original and denoised and add it back) I’ve tried in after effect but this hasn’t worked, in Natron/Nuke the pixel math is correct so this work.

sometime with heavy denoised image the noise part get image detail that get back over the CG, so image need sometime to be denoised carefully.
But if it’s about removing a shadow in a wall sometime you can just blur the image like a bad boy and even if your working on a totally blurry image, when the noise is added back you get exactly the original image + your modifications.

I don’t know if there is other techniques for that, I’d be glad to hear them, anyway this one save me a lot of times.

Cheers !

Wanted to let everyone know that the first three videos from the course are up on YouTube. Part one is a brief introduction about what to expect, part two goes into the software we’ll use and setting it up to match mine so it’s easier to follow along, and part three goes into the basics of node-based compositing in Natron - which is perfect for someone just getting acquainted with it.