I am really sorry to bother you, and I wasn't sure whether to post this in the User Help or Bug Report category - but since I believe this problem to be caused by bad memory management on my side I decided to go for the first.
Well; I am new to Natron and I am doing a very simple project to create a small logo animation for a youtube channel.
When I try to render my project of 120 simple HD frames, the program reliably keeps crashing at exactly 61%. The 'description'-panel in the error window after the program crashed is always empty.
To fix this I have tried many things, including
1. using disccache nodes
2. playing with most of the cache and rendering preferences
3. freeing up memory space by closing unnessecary processes
4. changing the output formate from mp4 to avi to jpeg-series
None of this changed anything about the program crashing at exactly 61% of the rendering process.
It might be worth noting that the Natron managed to create 74 of my 120 jpegs after I changed the output accordingly, before crashing. I recognized that 74/120 corresponds to exactly 61.67, which explains why the program crashes at 61%.
Also when I use a Viewer-Node to watch the preview in Natron the sequence stops playing exactly at picture 74. I can still go to "next frame" manually but it turns out frame 75 is completely black. After frame 75 all frames are completely normal, with the exception of frame 90 which also seems to be 'missing'.
In my graph I am using 1 readnote, several copy rectangle notes, several megers and transform nodes, a constant and a writer node and I have added several disccache nodes while trying to solve this issue.
I am really thrilled about this software, it seems to be a great concept - but now I am really frustrated and don't know what to do. Help
If you have any idea about what I could try next, please help me!
I reduced the output format to a much smaller one, which means that most of the image isn't even visible and I have a fraction of the pixels. In the viewer it still seems that frame 75 is broken.
I created a new project and tried to render the same number of screens but this time just a constant background. It worked without a problem.
I reduced my original project to the following graph:
[read(png)] -> [reformat] -> [copy rectangle] -> [transform1] -> [transform2] -> [merge1]
[constant] -> [merge1]
[merge1] -> [writer]
It turns out that this time, frame 75/120 does indeed exist, but frame 90/120 still doesn't and the program expectedly crashes at 74% instead of 61%. Mysterious.
The problem doesn't seem to persist when I remove the last copy rectangle node.
Edit4b: I was wrong.
I think I have found a bug; going to file a bug report!
I think I even have a good theory about what mistake the programmers made!